"Rob Vantress is a top-drawer litigator [who] has tried more cases than most litigators, so his trial light is always on as he evaluates and re-evaluates evidence and builds the trial in his head. Ironically, this is precisely the kind of thinking that brings to settlement those cases that should never go to trial. I don't think I have ever worked with anyone who can outwork Rob or who has ever been better prepared for a hearing, a deposition, or trial. His experience and skills were critical to K-Swiss in our long trademark and trade dress litigation against Payless ShoeSource and our very successful settlement of that case."
Lee Green, general counsel at K-Swiss.
Rob Vantress has successfully represented individuals and small to medium-sized businesses against large corporations such as Payless ShoeSource and Oracle Corporation. Most clients are based in Silicon Valley; however he has appeared or tried cases in most California cities and throughout the United States. Rob has achieved positive outcomes for his clients as he opposed large, well-known national law firms including Latham & Watkins, Fenwick & West, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliff, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, Baker & McKenzie, McDermott, Will & Emery and Lathrop & Gage.
Rob volunteers his time with the Santa Clara County Federal Pro Bono Project, and he participated as a fee-dispute arbitrator for the Palo Alto Bar Association. In addition to serving on various state bar and local bar committees, Rob has been a scoring judge for the Santa Clara County High School Mock Trial Competition and as an attorney-coach for the Leland High School Mock Trial Team.
Published and Key Cases
- K-Swiss, Inc. v. Payless Shoe Source, Central District of California Case
No. CV04-0779 (2004)(Substantial trademark and trade dress infringement
settlement). See Case Study
- Baker v. Oracle Corporation, San Francisco County Court No. 311903,
San Francisco Chronicle, May 13, 2000 ($20 Million Stock Options and Employment
Case - Outcome confidential).
- Cooper/Brady Partnership, D.B.A. Cresa Partners v. Oracle Corporation and
Portal Software, Inc., Santa Clara County Superior Court No. 106CV064834
(Plaintiff's case representing real estate agents seeking $5 Million for
breach of commission agreement - Outcome confidential).
- Redwood Mutual Water Co. v. Pacific Underground Construction, Santa Clara
County Superior Court No. CV 721553 (Successful settlement of Plaintiff's
case alleging Multi-million damages for pipeline construction defects -
- Ong v. Encabo Enterprises, 1998 Westlaw 2029953 and 2000 Westlaw 34223990
(Multi-million verdict in Plaintiff's case for Fraud and Breach of Fiduciary
Duty - sale of business).
- Teleflora v. Florists Transworld Delivery, Inc., 2004 Westlaw 2271602, 1844848
Central District of California No. CV03-5858)(Successful Defense of Trade Secret,
Computer Hacking and Unfair Competition claims).
- Linney v. Cellular Alaska Partnership 1997 Westlaw 450064 (Successful Opposition
to $10 Million Class Action Settlement Attorney's Fees Award).
- Nissan Motor Com., Ltd v. Nissan Computer Corp., Central District of California
No. CV99-12980, 180 F.Supp.2d 1089 (2002) and 204 F.R.D. 460 (2001) and 89 F.Supp.2d
1154 (2000)(Defense of owner of domain name www.nissan.com by Nissan Motors Ltd.
alleging Cybersquatting, trademark infringement and dilution).
- Power & Data Technology, Inc. v. Orlando, Santa Clara County No. 750244 (Successful
Defense of former sales employee accused of trade secret and unfair competition
claims by former employer).
- Exatron ATE v. DiFrancesco, Before JAMS (1996)(Successful claim for judicial
declaration of exclusivity of client's patent license) and DiFrancesco v. Johnson
Matthey, Santa Clara Superior Court No. CV-772523 (Successful defense of patent
and trademark license termination claim and claim for additional royalties).
- MagicLine v. Applied Communications, Inc. Before the American Arbitration
Association No. 54-117028489 (1991), Detroit, Michigan (Defense of computer fraud,
nonperformance, vaporware claims against software company).
- Teikoku Pharma USA, Inc. v. 1718 Ringwood, LLC, Santa Clara Superior Court number
108CV112259 (Lawsuit)(Plaintiff's claim for breach of real estate purchase agreement -
Defendant agreed to perform shortly after lawsuit filed).
- Zanker Road I, LLC v. MCI Communications Services, Inc. DBA Verizon Business
Services, Santa Clara County Superior Court, Case No. 108CV119238 and MCI
Communications Services, Inc., et al., v. RS Zanker Road I, LLC, Superior Court
of California, County of Santa, Clara Case No. 109CV134174 (Plaintiff's case re
Declaratory Relief Re Commercial Lease terms and Defense of tenant's claim of
breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing arising out of the
alleged breach of the settlement re methodology of FMV appraisal).
- Betz v. National Bank of Southern California, 203 Cal.App. 3d 402 (1988)(Employment).
- Jimenez v. Kellogg's Co. 2000 Westlaw 33996834 (Employment).
- Klang v. Intermart Systems, Inc. 2001 Westlaw 34367371 (2001)(Successful Defense
of Agent's claim for commissions and breach of implied covenant requiring renewal
- S. Bravo Systems, Inc. v. Total Containment, Inc., Central Dist. Calif.
Case No. CV93 5565 (Patent infringement; settled).
- Turf Specialists Corp. v. Cambridge Sportsturf, Inc., Middle Dist. Fla.
(Orlando) 96-138-Civ.-Orl-22 (Successful Tradename and trademark infringement).
- Relysis v. Aikea Technology, Santa Clara No. 754928 (Successful Prosecution
breach of fiduciary duty/fraud).
- Hessel v. Bourdeau, San Mateo County No. 109589 (Successful prosecution of
claims by beneficiary for breach of fiduciary duty against trustee).
- Giberson v. Escort Memory Systems, Inc., Santa Cruz County No. 140300
(Employment - settled).
- Weeks v. Baker & McKenzie, 63 Cal.App.4th 1128 (Employment - appeal only).
- Calif. Commissioner of Corporations v. Brown, Before the Department of
Corporations (2005) (Successful securities administrative case overturning
finding against client).
- Nguyen v. Web Office, Inc., West. Dist of Texas No. CV03-0196)(Securities - settled).